PhysicalFIT Screen Basic Certificate Workshop:
- Friday, November 9, 2018 in West Chester, OH
Fitness initiatives to promote physical activity and prevent musculoskeletal injuries of workers are creating new service opportunities for health and fitness professionals. The costs for treatment and disability are estimated to be $874 billion for chronic musculoskeletal disorders in the US. Unfortunately, the usual screening process for job seekers and wellness participants fails to provide objective measures of musculoskeletal health or physical functioning. As a result, workers aren’t guided to physical activities that are most suitable for them.
The WorkAbility PhysicalFIT Screen is a brief, non-diagnostic screen of musculoskeletal health and physical fitness. It includes functional performance tests of active movement, agility, and lift strength that are scored based on observations of the client’s performance during functional tasks. The results from these tests are used to assess the client’s readiness to perform physical work demands that are commonly encountered during employment and daily living. This facilitates transitions to suitable therapy or individualized fitness programs.
This seminar includes a balance of lecture and hands-on lab sessions to learn how to administer a PhysicalFIT Screen from start to finish. Attendees must demonstrate competency by observing a series of videos of worker models who are performing the functional performance tests. Attendees will also learn how to create individualized reports for the WorkAbility Movement Screen and a PhysicalFIT Screen that identify follow-up recommendations to promote suitable physical activity and reduce risks for musculoskeletal disorders and related disability. Attendees should bring a stop watch and wear non-restrictive clothing and gym shoes.
- 7:30 AM – Registration
- 8:00 AM – PhysicalFIT Screens to Promote Work Readiness (Employment, Fitness, Rehab)
- 9:00 AM – Administering PhysicalFIT Tests: Vision, Active Movement, Agility, and Lift Strength
- 10:15 AM – Lab Practice with Video Movement Analysis
- 11:45 AM – Case Applications to Verify Competency on Active Movement, Agility, Lift Strength
- 12:15 PM – PhysicalFIT Reporting & Triage
- 1:00 PM – Complete Course Evaluation and Adjourn
- Describe service opportunities related to PhysicalFIT and Movement Screens.
- Apply screening assessment principles and techniques for the Active Movement Screen™.
- Apply screening assessment principles and techniques to objectively assess ambulation agility.
- Apply screening assessment principals for near and far vision.
- Apply screening assessment principles and techniques to assess high and low lift strength for manual materials handling.
- Identify and apply documentation expectations related to a WorkAbility Movement and PhysicalFIT Screen.
- Identify common issues that prompt follow-up based on information gathered during the screen.
Presented by: Rick Wickstrom, PT, DPT, CPE, CDMS
This continuing nursing education activity is approved for 5 CNEs by the AAOHN, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. This continuing education program is also approved for 5 CEUs for Ohio-licensed Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Athletic Trainer professionals.